Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Select Plath Quotes

-- And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.

-- Kiss me and you will see how important I am.

-- I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead; I lift my eyes and all is born again.

-- Dying is an art, like everything else. I do it exceptionally well. I do it so it feels like hell. I do it so it feels real. I guess you could say I've a call.

-- I talk to God but the sky is empty.

-- Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything, it is because we are dangerously close to wanting nothing.

-- I do not want a plain box, I want a sarcophagus
With tigery stripes, and a face on it
Round as the moon, to stare up.
I want to be looking at them when they come
Picking among the dumb minerals, the roots.
I see them already-the pale, star-distance faces.
Now they are nothing, they are not even babies.
I imagine them without fathers or mothers, like the first gods.
They will wonder if I was important.

-- I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want.

-- I felt my lungs inflate with the onrush of scenery—air, mountains, trees, people. I thought, 'This is what it is to be happy.'

No comments: